What makes this book different from most other Chinese textbooks published in China?
The content of each lesson is intensely practical. We have assumed that you are living in China and want to communicate on everyday topics as quickly as possible. So only useful vocabulary, immediately relevant to your everyday needs, is included.
We have worked hard at trying to make the grammar explanations as simple and clear as possible, avoiding complicated linguistic terminology.
Each lesson contains an activity related to the topic, in order to get you using the content as quickly as possible.
The reading & writing of Chinese characters is introduced at a manageable pace so you shouldn’t feel too overwhelmed.
Students who have used this textbook in our program have enjoyed the clear grammar explanations and practical content of each lesson. The textbook gives students what they need for daily living in China and hence fuels motivation to learn.
Dr. Howard Kenyon
Sunrise Chinese Language Program
Shaanxi Teacher Training University
Martin Symonds has crated the very textbook I’ve been looking for in China for a long while. With China’s entry into the WTO, there has been an urgent need for a course which is both practical and well structured, yet without the heavy emphasis on writing Chinese characters which most courses in China demand. This is definitely it!
China Language Training Center
Table of Contents
41. Eating at McDonalds 在麦当劳吃东西
42. Wandering Around a Night Market 逛夜市
43. College Sports Day 运动会
44. Buying Food 买吃的东西
45. Festivals 节日
46. Telephoning My Brother-in-Law 打电话给姐夫
47. University Clubs 大学社团
48. Inviting Friends Home for a Meal 请朋友来家里吃饭
49. International Trading 国际贸易
50. Farming Life 农夫的生活
51. Household Repairs 修理房子
52. Teacher’s Day 教师节
53. Buying Daily Necessities 买日用品
54. Planning a Trip to S.E. Asia 计划去东南亚旅游
55. Physical Checkup 身体检查
56. Striving for the Future 为了将来而努力
57. Servicing a Car 汽车保养
58. Leisure Activities 休闲活动
59. Finding a Job 找工作
60. Planning a Trip 计划旅行
Chinese-English Vocabulary List (lessons 1-60)
Chinese Characters (lessons 6-60)
Pictures of New Vocabulary and Additional Activities
41. Getting more & more/if it’s not…, then it’s… / No matter whether…越来越/不是…, 就是…,要不然… /不管
42. From TW on / First…, then… / Actually not… / Grab the opportunity从…起/先…,再… / 并不/没… /趁…机会
43. 把 pattern
44. On the one hand…, on the other… / Definitely… / Only 一边…,一边… /一定会V的/就&才
45. REVIEW: Measures
47. Vague & Indefinite Statements
48. It would be better if… 还是…吧！/再&才/RVE起来
49. On the contrary倒是/ Multiples & Fractions
50. REVIEW: 就、才、再
51. All Included / All Excluded / No matter…不管+QW
52. Resultative Verbs Endings上、下、出、过
53. Resultative Verbs Endings成、动、掉、走、醒、起/ Extreme Exclusion
54. Resultative Verbs Endings死、满、了、来、开、住/More, again再
55. REVIEW: Resultative Verbs Endings
56. A little / Slightly SV-er 一点
57. Only a little 怎么/就
58. Still, more 还/才
59. So SV that/以+ PW suffix
60. REVIEW: Suffixes & Prefixes